04 May 2010

YOU CAN PAY FOR SCHOOL, BUT YOU CAN'T BUY CLASS

I chose probably the worst possible time to begin a blog. The end of the semester is swiftly approaching, and we all know the fun things that go along with that.

As I’m avoiding papers and studying I’ve been flipping through Krishnamurti’s Think on These Things. I was given this book by a dear friend of mine when we were both still in high school. Confession: I still haven’t ever read it cover to cover. However, the bits I have read are too good to not share.

“Do you know what intelligence is? It is the capacity, surely, to think freely, without fear, without a formula, so that you begin to discover for yourself what is real, what is true; but if you are frightened you will never be intelligent.”

I’ve been wrestling with this one a good bit. I think by now I have figured out how to do school. I can go to class, memorize no more than what I need to get an A, crank out well-crafted B.S. papers on command, and squeeze in some “experience” every now and then as well. What, though, in 16+ years of school, have I really learned? Does the A mean I’m intelligent or that I know how to play the game? The answer to that question is pretty obvious. Now, what to do about it?

My hope is that this blog can be more than self-indulgent ramblings, but rather an outlet for true intelligence. I want to think freely and discover for myself what is true. I also want to be outrageously witty and make you fall in love with me. Shouldn't be too hard.

4 comments:

  1. you.... are absolutely adorable and i miss you dearly. let me know when you decide to update this thing so i can follow what's going on in that brain of yours. love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. brilliant title loho. witty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome to the blog world!!!!!! i'm excited. one day we'll be friends in real life and watch all the rachel zoe in the world ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm excited about this.

    ReplyDelete