15 May 2010

TOP 10: lessons from melanee

# 7 -- "A place for everything, and everything in its place"

I can remember being about 4 or 5 years old, faced with the arduous task of picking up my room. I would lie down on the floor in the middle of a pile of Barbie accessories and pretend to be asleep in the hopes that someone would feel sorry for me. It’s funny to hear Mom talk about how ridiculous she thought I was in those moments, because I thought the plan was pretty brilliant. For so long she had been trying to teach me the value of a clean room—how peaceful it is, not to mention how easy it is to find what you’re looking for.

In the last two years I have finally learned for myself just how important it is to have, “a place for everything, and everything in its place.” Don’t get me wrong; I am still an artist who at times thrives on organized chaos. However, as my life is shifting from a reactionary one outside of my control to one where I have a certain degree of autonomy and decision-making weight to throw around, it’s becoming more and more important to have a safe, relaxing sanctuary. As it turns out, this is characteristic of many Cancers such as myself.

Also, fact: there’s nothing better than crawling into a bed with clean sheets.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet dreams in a bed of clean sheets...in a clean room. Ah...peace.

    ReplyDelete