11 May 2010

TOP 10: lessons from melanee

# 8 -- if you sign up for tap class, you're going to tap class



I took dance lessons from the time I was three-years-old until I was a sophomore in high school. I’ve always loved ballet, and I’ve always been incredibly serious. It makes sense. However, I’ve also always loved the IDEA of being very carefree, silly and exciting. I am not these things. I do try to be these things from time to time, though. And when I was about 7, I decided I wanted to take tap lessons along with my ballet classes. Gee, wouldn’t that be fun?
            Well, no, Lauren, it wouldn’t be. Mr. Tony has more personality in a single wave of his jazz hands than you’ll ever have in your life… and right now you’re only 7! Welcome to a completely miserable experience for the child who was asked by a classmate, “Why are you sad all the time?” (I’m not sad all the time; I just have a very intense resting face.)
            I wanted to quit more than anything. I hated every second of it. I hated Mr. Tony for wanting to be my friend and talk to me. I hated being asked to smile repeatedly. I hated the fact that we were dancing to the Inspector Gadget theme song. But Mom saw not a miserable little girl. She saw an opportunity for a life lesson. When you make a commitment, damn it, you’re sticking to it.
            And that’s what I did. I have the recital pictures to prove it. (Courtesy of Mel herself). Sparkly red velvet romper and matching cap. It was a horrible experience. But I know that I am a much better person for all the torture my mother put me through.

3 comments:

  1. Lauren, hilarious!
    I literally laughed out loud at your "very intense resting face." I'd like to say that I have the same, and I get very tired of answering the what's wrong question, when there hardly ever is anything wrong.

    I am loving your blog!! Your words are awesome. And so is this precious series of mom lessons. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were very cute in that outfit...I'll send you the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! So sorry! I too enforce the we don't quit after we commit philosophy - but just the outfit alone was cruel. You are not alone with your
    "intense resting face". I was frequently asked whats wrong? are you okay? ... to which I would respond - yes, why are you asking? I also remember a few months after I moved to Nashville a new friend made the comment - I didn't realize you were so funny - you seem so serious. I believe that only a close few need to truly know when I am happy, sad or mad. Open book will not be used to describe your aunt. Love you! Good luck with that studying thing that you do...

    ReplyDelete