08 May 2010

she got it from her mama

“Love begins at home. And it is not how much we do, but how much love we put in that action.” –Mother Theresa


Tomorrow is mother’s day, and I am missing me some Melanee. Finals are keeping me in Louisiana this weekend, but I would much rather be in Nashville with the mama’s in my family celebrating the legacy of beautiful women I come from.

 


For years I have sworn to myself that I would never “become” my mother. We struggled for the last several years I lived at home particularly hard. I know that most girls fight with their moms. I also know that Melanee and I have completely opposite brains that have a lot of trouble communicating sometimes. I was awful to her. I’m not proud of it. But there has been some pretty incredible restoration in our relationship in the past several years. She is a beautiful mother, wife and person. And she has taught me a lot more than I care to admit sometimes. 

I realize now that becoming Melanee wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. So tomorrow, on Mother’s day, I will begin posting the top 10 lessons I have learned from my mom in my 20 years. They will get progressively sweeter, so beware. By the time I am finished with my top 10 I will be back home to celebrate my mother in person.

3 comments:

  1. This is great. And that baby picture of you in the red dress might be the best thing ever. Love you. Can't wait to read more of your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! I can only pray that my daughter Kate can say something so wonderful when she reaches this point in life. Girls and their moms - it is so hard but somehow we hope that our girls know that we fight so hard because we love and treasure them so much. I am so proud of the indcredibly beautiful, brilliant, creative, strong, funny ....woman you have become. I have carried you in my heart since the second I held you - You are forever MY GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a tribute! It has been a true study in character to stand back and watch you and your mom learn and grow together.

    Your relationship is a testament of faith.

    I will always wonder what it would have been like to have a daughter. (But not for long - I love my son!)

    Way to go Lauren!!!

    ReplyDelete