09 May 2010

TOP 10: lessons from melanee


# 10 -- enjoy special cereal

The Horton household didn’t see Fruit Loops very often when I was growing up. I know some kids had it much worse than we did, but we always had a pretty healthy kitchen. However, vacation was a time to throw whole-grain and high-fiber to the wind. A time for what we call “Special Cereal.”

As soon as we got to the beach (I’m speaking in past tense, but we still do this) the first order of business was to go to the grocery store and stock up for the week. This is one of my favorite times with my family. Logan grabs the biggest box of Lucky Charms he can find, Daddy finds some strawberry frosted PopTarts, I usually go for some obscure microwavable pastry that’s never as good as I want it to be. Mom will typically stick to her Oat Squares. Maybe some Honey Nut Cheerios if she’s feelin’ crazy.

What I love about all of this, though, is that Mom has shown her love for us in even such subtle ways as this: I’m not going to let you eat junk all the time. But you’re special enough to me that I’ll let you break the rules sometimes because it’s important to have fun and enjoy little things. 


2 comments:

  1. Wow... my kids have lucky charms, apple jacks, fruit loops, frosted flakes.... all of the time -I wonder what special cereal could be for them? something healthy? It may be too late for that - Your mom has always done a great job - even when it is hard , she keeps going and stands strong , at the end of they day , no matter what - you always know you are a priority and that you matter. On a lighter note - remind her of Deleware Punch and Fritos and Bean Dip out of a can - now THAT is special - love my girl A.A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to go shopping for cereal on vacation this year. .. I may go crazy and get Captain Crunch! And for the record, it was and is one of my favorite family times as well!
    I love you my daughter...toaster streudel girl!

    ReplyDelete